
We have been preparing for Halloween for quite some time now. Every day the kids have asked "How many sleeps until Halloween, Teacher?" Especially, the kindergartners, because we had a huge Halloween festival for them today...
The last month has consisted of decorating our classroom during "Art" time... practicing our Halloween song- we did "Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead" from the Wizard of Oz... and just discussing Trick-or-Treating, costumes, and all the fun stuff associated with Halloween.
The day before our festival, during "Science" time, each class got a pumpkin and we got to carve it. Of course, only the Teacher got to have a knife, but we had a few spoons. After forcing the top of the pumpkin to come off the kids started digging in and gutting the pumpkin.. not too

long after this began, it became pretty apparent that I needed to roll up my sleeves and prepare to get dirty. While I was gutting out the pumpkin, having my kids watching, saying "oooo big piece, Teacher... oooo look that your hands, Teacher.." The kids started noticing little "worms" that were in the seeds and in the stuff from the inside of the pumpkin... with Katie Teacher's help, we realised they were maggots. Of course my class gets the pumpkin that is rotting. That prompted the kids lining up and me sending them to the bathroom to wash their hands with soap. It also meant that we had to throw our pumpkin away. After closer examination, there were maggots all throughout the inside of the pumpkin... it was such a sad discovery. No pumpkin carving for Class 9 this year.
Last night, after school was finished, all of the teachers stayed a couple extra hours and helped set up for the Halloween festival. Our bosses provided pizza and beer and we went to our assigned tasks. I was in the Haunted House with Katie, Gavin and Nico. We took our Play Gym and made it a scary, haunted house. We covered the windows, hung balloons and streamers from things, and set up some cobwebs... the scariest part was going to be us scaring them... something I think I ended up enjoying a little too much...
At any rate, today was the big day. We were in the Haunted House for two hours, scaring children. I started off as the "friendly" door greeted. I turned into the teacher who was speaking kindly to the children trying to coax them to go through the Haunted House. I was su

rprised at how many children walked in, looked for 3 seconds and then turned around and wanted to leave. At one point in time I actually had to go through it WITH them... they wanted me to go first to show them it was OK... poor kids! We definitely made our fair share of kids cry today... it was kind of exciting... although, I personally HATE being scared, so I could empathize with them. After all the kids had been through the Haunted House, played some games, ate some snacks, and got their faces painted- it was time for Trick-or-Treating! We got to sing, "Trick or Treat, Trick or Treat, Give me something good to eat, Make it Big, Make it Small, Just the size of a cannonball." (I seem to remember a different version of this song...) Then it was finally lunch time. A time for us to breathe. A group of us decided to head out to lunch together, in our costumes. It was quite enjoyable- Koreans don't really celebrate Halloween, much like most countries other than the US- so we got some way funnier looks than we normally do!

Things were pretty mellow after lunch. We had our singing contest. My kids did pretty good. They seemed to freeze up a bit once they got on stage- but they were definitely doing their best! There was a song contest and a classroom decoration contest- so we got to find out the winners today, as well! My kids got third place for our classroom! I was so happy for them! I got a $10 gift certificate for Lotte... so I am going to buy some them snacks or something!
All in all, it was a good day. I am exhausted, though. It's not even 10:00 and I'm ready for bed. I feel like today was a glimpse at what it would be like to have a couple young children and to have a holiday! Hooboy- not sure if I'm ready for that!
I will end this with some more photos..... HAPPY HALLOWEEN! ^^

Comments