This was the sign I had waiting for me when we got home from Chicago around 10:30 Sunday night. The flight was long. I flew Japan Airlines to Tokyo, then flew American Airlines to Chicago. I was amazed at the difference in the airlines. I haven't flown any sort of American airline in such a long time, I was surprised as how unfriendly the stewards were. I was also very unimpressed at the food.. but what else is new!?
At the airport in Japan they had massage chairs next to some of the gates. I would have sat in one and relaxed, but I didn't have any Japanese money on me... they made me think of my friend, John, and how he likes to go sit in the massage chairs at E-Mart in Korea! I also saw a lot of ads for travel to Canada. Made me smile each time and think fondly of my Canadian friends and how so many times I have claimed to be Canadian myself! While on the flight from Seoul to Tokyo, I noticed in the lavatory that they had ash trays. I found this odd considering flights are nonsmoking and how they especially always announce not to smoke in the bathrooms.. so why the ash trays?

These were the flowers waiting for my arrival home, as well. My mom likes to try to surprise me... my mom, step dad and little brother were in Chicago to pick me up. Sebastian, my little brother, was wearing his soccer shirt that I had gotten him last summer for the World Cup! He stuck out of the crowd, for sure, wearing his Korea shirt! It was nice to see some familiar faces and to get off the airplane. I didn't sleep well on the plane and I was just ready to walk around a bit. We left the airport and went and ate ate Giordano's. A Chicago-style pizza restaurant. It was amazing. I love Chicago-style pizza... it was awful, though, I could barely eat an entire piece!
I have now been home for almost five days and I am not sure how I'm feeling. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have tackled driving my car, in a thunderstorm, going to Wal-Mart and visiting family. I wish I could say that I'm ecstatic to be home, but that would be a lie. I am not unhappy by any means and there are definitely things I'm loving about being back home. I'm just not as excited as I thought I would be.
Here's a fine example of what I'm loving about home! It's so sad, though, I can't eat nearly as much as those around me and everything has been giving me a stomachache! PLUS! I've already been craving kimchi and rice! I wish I was kidding! I am hoping we can go in search of some Korean food soon. I have also really been enjoying showering. It's something so silly and small, and something I got used to in Korea, but I just love showering in a regular shower. I've also really enjoyed my bed. I think just because it's familiar. Now I just wish I could sleep better and then I'd be good to go!
As I mentioned above I've been trying to catch up with my family, which has been really good. I've spent some time with my dad, step mom and two sisters. I finally met my one sister for the first time and that was strange! I have known her for over three years, but we have never met. So it was fun to actually see her face-to-face and talk. She's doing so well for not being in American for even a year yet! The two girls are quite a hand full, though. My dad and step mom have so much grace and patience. I'm not sure I could do what they do every, single day!
I haven't really seen much of anyone else.. although, I've been attempting at catching up with people by phone. It's been nice to hear some familiar voices and to hear about what's going on in my friends' lives. I just pray that I will be able to reconnect with some people this summer and continue our friendships that we've had for so long.

Adjusting back to American culture has taken a bit to get used to. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to adjust before the summer is over. I find myself very quiet. I don't talk about much and I don't speak unless I'm being spoken to. I don't feel like I have a ton to say, and when people ask about Korea it's not something they want a real long answer to, which has been fine. I find myself standing back and just listening and watching. American people are so interesting. So opinionated, loud, and grumpy. I've even noticed with my family a little bit... there is always something to complain about. And I know I shouldn't even say that after writing this post, cuz it's not the most thankful of posts, but it's something I've really noticed and it's starting to bother me.
I am thankful that I am home. I'm thankful that I'm safe, have a loving family, and a roof over my head. I am so grateful for the time I'm going to spend this summer with my siblings, family and friends. I think it's going to end up being a good summer. I think God is going to teach me A LOT about my family, friends, America, and myself. This place is my home and it's something I need to accept, whether I like it or not. I need to be thankful and proud of where I come from, even though I don't always see eye-to-eye with those around me.
I am already thinking about the end of the summer, and it's something I've been very aware of. I'm trying to make myself live in the present and enjoy each day that I have with those around me. However, the longer I'm here, and I've not even been home a week yet, the more I long for Korea. I miss Korea a lot, and I can see myself going back there come fall.
It will be interesting to see what this summer brings my way. I think God has a few things up His sleeve and I think I'm going to be amazed. I'm excited about that; I just hope I'm ready!
I will try to update on here as much as I can. I'm sure there will be many stories to tell and pictures to show. Until next time, may God bless you and keep you safe!
At the airport in Japan they had massage chairs next to some of the gates. I would have sat in one and relaxed, but I didn't have any Japanese money on me... they made me think of my friend, John, and how he likes to go sit in the massage chairs at E-Mart in Korea! I also saw a lot of ads for travel to Canada. Made me smile each time and think fondly of my Canadian friends and how so many times I have claimed to be Canadian myself! While on the flight from Seoul to Tokyo, I noticed in the lavatory that they had ash trays. I found this odd considering flights are nonsmoking and how they especially always announce not to smoke in the bathrooms.. so why the ash trays?
These were the flowers waiting for my arrival home, as well. My mom likes to try to surprise me... my mom, step dad and little brother were in Chicago to pick me up. Sebastian, my little brother, was wearing his soccer shirt that I had gotten him last summer for the World Cup! He stuck out of the crowd, for sure, wearing his Korea shirt! It was nice to see some familiar faces and to get off the airplane. I didn't sleep well on the plane and I was just ready to walk around a bit. We left the airport and went and ate ate Giordano's. A Chicago-style pizza restaurant. It was amazing. I love Chicago-style pizza... it was awful, though, I could barely eat an entire piece!
I have now been home for almost five days and I am not sure how I'm feeling. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have tackled driving my car, in a thunderstorm, going to Wal-Mart and visiting family. I wish I could say that I'm ecstatic to be home, but that would be a lie. I am not unhappy by any means and there are definitely things I'm loving about being back home. I'm just not as excited as I thought I would be.
As I mentioned above I've been trying to catch up with my family, which has been really good. I've spent some time with my dad, step mom and two sisters. I finally met my one sister for the first time and that was strange! I have known her for over three years, but we have never met. So it was fun to actually see her face-to-face and talk. She's doing so well for not being in American for even a year yet! The two girls are quite a hand full, though. My dad and step mom have so much grace and patience. I'm not sure I could do what they do every, single day!
I haven't really seen much of anyone else.. although, I've been attempting at catching up with people by phone. It's been nice to hear some familiar voices and to hear about what's going on in my friends' lives. I just pray that I will be able to reconnect with some people this summer and continue our friendships that we've had for so long.
Adjusting back to American culture has taken a bit to get used to. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to adjust before the summer is over. I find myself very quiet. I don't talk about much and I don't speak unless I'm being spoken to. I don't feel like I have a ton to say, and when people ask about Korea it's not something they want a real long answer to, which has been fine. I find myself standing back and just listening and watching. American people are so interesting. So opinionated, loud, and grumpy. I've even noticed with my family a little bit... there is always something to complain about. And I know I shouldn't even say that after writing this post, cuz it's not the most thankful of posts, but it's something I've really noticed and it's starting to bother me.
I am thankful that I am home. I'm thankful that I'm safe, have a loving family, and a roof over my head. I am so grateful for the time I'm going to spend this summer with my siblings, family and friends. I think it's going to end up being a good summer. I think God is going to teach me A LOT about my family, friends, America, and myself. This place is my home and it's something I need to accept, whether I like it or not. I need to be thankful and proud of where I come from, even though I don't always see eye-to-eye with those around me.
It will be interesting to see what this summer brings my way. I think God has a few things up His sleeve and I think I'm going to be amazed. I'm excited about that; I just hope I'm ready!
I will try to update on here as much as I can. I'm sure there will be many stories to tell and pictures to show. Until next time, may God bless you and keep you safe!
Comments
thanks for keeping in touch with me. i know i need your support...
mwah!