Skip to main content

Snapchat Love?

At work, we have a joke among us that when we don't like a product we say, "We must not be the target audience!" It's a phrase that makes us laugh, but also contains so much truth. 

I feel this way about a lot of smart phone apps, especially all of the messaging ones. It's like, how many different apps do we need to do the exact, same thing!? But I'm quickly realizing that while many still consider me "young" I am not the target audience for a lot of the apps. 

For example, let's talk about Snapchat. Personally, I think Snapchat is hilarious. I love the filters & now the games! My husband & I send silly photos to each other all of the time & compete against each other with the ridiculous games. It's become a form of entertainment for us! But I see so many online articles talking about how dangerous Snapchat is & it makes me so sad. How can something so fun & entertaining be turned into something terrible? 

I think this is hard for me to understand for a few reasons, 1) I'm not the target audience for Snapchat, 2) I tend to use social media as a way to communicate with people that I already know & 3) maybe I don't actually understand all of the features of the app. I'm sure there's a lot more to Snapchat than how I use it! 

I'm not really sure of the purpose of this post other than it's something that I'm thinking about. I am continually grateful for growing up in a time where smart phones & apps didn't exist. While I love my smart phone & have fun with all of my apps, I also enjoy putting it down & not allowing it to define any part of who I am as a person. For me, it's weird to think back to the fact that only 5 years ago I bought my first smart phone. I lived 30 years of my life without one & now I feel lost without it. It's kind of crazy how quickly things change. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

texts.

some of my fave texts that i have received while living in england: "there's a program on irish tv tonight called 'death or canada'. i wish i had the energy to stay up and watch it. i may have some tshirts made." "Worse." "Than." "Hitler." "That's bad news bears, my friend. I hope your magic shirts are keeping you warm." "Because we're celebrating Christmas time, leave your shoes out at half past nine. Leave them out until half past ten. Santa should have been by then. (i know what you're thinking, 'why is sarah in bible college when she is so gifted in the literary technique of rhyming?)" "You make me feel. You make me feel. You make me feel like a natural woman." "Should be fun on a bun!" "And stay off the circle line. It is an instrument of the devil." "I'd love a bottle of fruit loops right about now." "I've never seen a movie that...

We're all moved in!

Expectancy

We have the following Bible verses written on a chalkboard above our kitchen sink: Because of God's tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness & in the shadow of death, & to guide us to the path of peace. Luke 1:78-78 NLT I chose to write out these verses for a few reasons. First of all, I like the picture it illustrates of God's mercy & how ultimately his mercy & light lead us to peace. Second, these verses speak of hope to me. They say that even in darkness & death there is hope! And last, it reminds me to live every day with expectancy. It says that heaven "is about" to break upon us; it's almost foreshadowing God's faithfulness. I've been thinking about this third point a lot lately. Expectancy. What does it mean? What does it look like? I think I've referenced it before, but I'm reading a book that's written specifically for people in a time of ...